In September 2015, world leaders meet in New York to get behind the Global Goals: fighting poverty, injustice and climate change. The United Nations developed 17 global goals, which targets ending extreme poverty, fighting inequality & injustice, and fixing climate change among others. The idea is to achieve 3 extraordinary things in the next 15 years through a sustainable development. This will benefit everyone in all the countries but people should know about them.
Affordable and Clean Energy
America produces 25% of the world’s CO2 through fossil fuel with only 4% of the world’s population. The 7th goal is about ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
A flourishing solar sector creates jobs and kick starts enterprise. Solar lights are the first step on a clean energy ladder that can lead to even greater energy access. Our research in Zambia shows that over 60% of solar light users said they wanted to buy a solar product with more capacity, and 90% felt more able to do so.
Solar Energy Targets
- By 2030, ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services
- By 2030, increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix
- By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
- By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology
- By 2030, expand infrastructure and upgrade technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
You can click here for more information about the global goals, or join the movement by using the hashtags: #GlobalGoals #Action2015
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn the basics about solar energy, what it is, the main benefits, and how solar photovoltaic systems work as well as other common questions. The list below will help you in the process of finding the right solar provider in your area.